Tuesday, December 2, 2008

What's in a name?

I feel compelled to state why the name Fishstyx. I'm a member of this quartet of guys that started in my home group all around the same time. Us newbies formed a little bond as we looked out for each other in those early months. My sponsor said since I was an old frat boy we should come up with nick names for each other and our little club. Two of the guys are from back east and always made mafia references to me since my name is Tony. I'm a former chef now working for a seafood company and that somehow got me named Tony Fish Sticks. One guy is a book salesman and avid reader named John. He became Johnny bag 'o books. Then there's my first friend in AA, Mikey the Goose. Last but not least, my friend Bob, who slipped and had to get a new sobriety date and take a couple of chips a 2nd time. He became Bobby 2 times. The four of us have traveled some rough road together over these last few months and have all come out on the other side to tell the story. I will always remember our little crew of Wiseguys for the rest of my life.
Now my question to you all is...
If we were to open up the books to let you into our little AA mob, what would your nick name be?
Tony Fishstyx

2 comments:

indistinct said...

Sounds great. To have friends like that.

We get good friends in sobriety. Working the program, a little bit of accountability, a shoulder to cry on. Good Stuff.

johnny bag 'o books said...

Back at you bub. I always wonder what it would have been like in those early days had we not had that bond. As welcoming as people are in the "rooms" "newbie" status in both sobriety and as a "new member of the club" is a pretty insecure place..I hope that we'll always walk the road together, and that we always remember what it must be like in those early days for the "newbies" and try to make them feel welcomed.

--Bags