Monday, December 1, 2008

How I got here pt.3

Remember I said the the greatest thing? Well due to the fact I had to stay dry for one year I became every body's favorite designated driver. I went everywhere I used to go and hauled my drunk buddies around. Without drinking I resorted to my other favorite pastime, people watching. One fateful night I got caught staring at this one girl. I was embarrassed but I still didn't stop trying to make a connection. Without booze my courage was absent and my friends and I decided to leave. A much more suave friend of mine knew what was up and decided to help a bro out. He called this girl over and made the introductions. After that we dated for about 2 years and got married on Jan. 30 1999.
When my year of dry sobriety was up the party was on. 365 days and 10 minutes I had a drink in hand AT THE SAME BAR I WAS STABBED AT! My friends cheered my triumphant return. I thought that being off the sauce that long would make me a lightweight again. Sadly, I was not born again. As usual I put the entire gang to bed. Many funny,dumb, stupid and sad drunk stories took place until my wedding. How she ever said, "I do" is a wonder to me now. Thank God she held on to me because we now have 2 beautiful and incredible girls.

My drinking has gone up and down since meeting my wife as I have tried to do the good dad thing. Sometimes well and sometimes not so well. We have had some pretty heart breaking things happen to our family heath wise and liquor kept me numb through it. It has done nothing but harm to those who have needed me to be clear during our families rough patches.

No comments: