Monday, December 1, 2008

How I got here pt.4

Final stretch, hang in there with me. The final chapter of my drinking starts with my mom's passing, March 8th 2007. Even though I was raised with a large extended family my mom was my only world. Her death has been the most painful thing I may ever know. In true alcoholic form I dealt with it in a bottle as often as I could. To boot I couldn't sleep so I was drinking bottles of NyQuil to conk out. Expectantly, holidays have been especially hard. Thanksgiving '07 I cooked for friends, cried and drank drank drank. Her birthday Dec. 4th '07 I cried and drank over it because nobody seamed to care she would have been 63. Christmas '07 I tried to hold on until we were visited by some neighbors. I started drinking with them and I don't remember how the night ended up. The next day my wife told me my oldest daughter tried to kiss me goodnight but she couldn't understand what I was saying. "Why is dad talking so funny?", she asked. My wife told me she couldn't keep doing this anymore. I was humbled and humiliated. My wife didn't yell at me or seem to get mad, just sad. Maybe she knew how good I was at doing it to myself. I never had a dad and have always wanted to be the best one in the world because of that. Now look what I had done. Upon learning this my therapist suggested I join the ranks of AA or visit her 3 times a week. Looking for the easier softer way(HA!) I called central office and got 12 stepped by a total stranger. He took me to my 1st meeting, and as nervous as I was, the moment I said, "My name is Tony and I'm an Alcoholic", I felt a wash come over me. I finally had hope this life might actually end up being o.k. It was a comfort I only remember as a child in my mother's arms. I probably was right then. That was a little over 11 months ago. I know it is supposed to be one day at a time but I'm getting a little excited for the day after Christmas when I get my 1 year chip and start breaking my old record 24 hrs at a time.
Whew! That felt good to get out.
Thanks
Tony Fishstyx

4 comments:

Shadow said...

hey! i'm looking forward to you getting your 1 year chip too!

Banana Girl said...

It is really hard to keep writing when you need to pee.....I always love your story and still do. I can't wait for your chip either. J.

Syd said...

I'm glad that you started your blog. And really glad that you are sober. Nice to meet you.

indistinct said...

Thanks for sharing your story. Glad that you found sobriety.

One day at a time, they start to add up.