Sunday, December 7, 2008

New memories

I spent the weekend with my family creating some new Christmas season memories. I do not like crowds with my kids. Usually I try and keep the family at home where I can keep an eye on them and be male macho protector. Easier to do when I control the perimeter. With a leap of faith I went along with my wife's plan to watch the parade of lights in downtown Denver. My head was on a swivel glaring at anybody who smiled at my two beautiful little girls. I was tense and wanted a drink bad! It didn't help that all I could smell was the schnapps coming off every body's breath in the chilly night air. Alone in the crowd I closed my eyes and prayed. I didn't pray not to drink. I prayed that I could relax with my family so we all could enjoy the time together. As I opened my eyes all I saw was my little bug's pale white face all lit up with the glow of the lights. I teared up as I saw how much I was missing. Slowly I felt the fear of stranger danger leave as I allowed myself to feel the joy my kids were experiencing. I had to tell my wife how thankful I was she had planned all of this. I also had to do the hardest thing......
Admit she was right! Boy my wife must love AA.
Peace
Fishstyx

2 comments:

Unknown said...

i was hoping you did well in the crowd. talk to you soon
rc

Banana Girl said...

It works, it really does!